Monday, September 12, 2011

First day of school is always most scary

So today I went to school. In Germany, School buses do not exist. You ride the public bus. Samantha helped me buy a bust ticket and she helped me find my class. Thy are really nice. She has a friend in my class who she asked to watch after me, I think. I had Chem then German then Math for 2 periods then Computers for 2 periods. I had NO IDEA what was going on. I sat and read books and stuff. It was easy enough. I had to ride the bus home by myself because Samantha was done earlier than me. It was very nerve wracking. I met a girl who speaks english at home and everyone enjoyed trying out their English. They wanted me to correct them and I did. In Chem I think they were learning about how Water become Mineral Water, which is gross by the way. They watched a video too. Then in German they were going over a test. In Math I have absolutely no idea what was going on! But you have if for two periods, which they call hour. So for the 2nd hour, we switched rooms. I was asked if I wanted to go to Theater, Music, or Computers. Being my mom's daughter you can guess what I picked. They had a test for the first hour and in the 2nd hour I think they were learning HTML codes or something. I'm not exactly sure. Th people were really really nice. They helped me a whole lot today. Tomorrow I am going into Berlin to get my Visa so I'm missing English and French class and others, I think. I will be back on Wednesday. I've started to think in German. Writing this was very tough because when I knew the German for something, I'd want to type it. So yeah, all is well.

2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately when getting a visa you will get the chance to see how awful the German bureaucracy can be. Just be patient... At least in Cologne it seemed like the civil servants got a real kick out of making everyone wait FOREVER.

    Hang in there. It gets easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heather. My host sister spends a whole lot of time in her room. My "room" is in the sitting room outside her room. I don't think I'll tell her when I can understand German because she is clearly having private conversations. Haha.

    ReplyDelete