Sunday, September 18, 2011

Talk about a Scary Place

Germany is so beautiful and nice. German teenagers are beautiful and nice. Everyone talks about German Teens only drinking socially and not to get drunk fast. Well from my experiences so far, that's not true. I went to party with my Host Sister SUPER reluctantly where within an our of it starting I saw many kids passed out. The way it was set up, it was a bar, huge dance floor, and an outside courtyard. That's where most everyone was smoking. I'm happy I know the German word for no. I've never said no more in my entire life. German Cigarettes do not smell as bad as American Cigarettes but they are still gross. People would offer me a cigarette and I would say "Nein Danke." Also I was very happy to be able to help my host sister walk around basically and remember the entire night. I'm happy that I did not have any drinks. Just because It's legal doesn't mean I have to do it. It is also legal to eat 3,000 candy bars in one day but do I? No. Everyone was calling me the good little American girl. I can handle that title.
Lets talk Survival Camp. Remember Creepy guy who I posted a picture during Orientation? Well guess who, out of 90 students I cold have, is the only other American in my chapter. Even with an indescribably obnoxious person, it was AMAZING to speak English and it be about America and you do't have to re-explain. It was so comforting. We went Bowling during camp and it was so weird. For starters the lanes are thinner but curved to the middle and the balls are smaller and without holes. It's a whole lot of fun.

Life here is getting better but 10 months is such a long time. I think that coming home in a month would be amazing about now. I really miss Ruby a whole bunch. I miss being at home and know where everything is, how everything works, feel comfortable getting stuff, know what my parents are saying, getting hugs from my family and friends, and above all being around my family and friends. I miss Pepridge Farm Goldfish and greasy pizza (I've never craved that one before) and processed foods. I miss White Grape Juice from Concentrate. I am so sick of eating bread too.
Alright lets end on a really positive note. Since I came here all by myself, I had no one to turn to but God. With everything I have to do in my day he has been helping me. I've been getting in plenty of devotional time and been praying a lot when I want to go home, which has gotten to be pretty often. He's been pulling me through and he'll get me through to July. I pray to have fun so that time can fly. It almost feels like it's standing still. I'm only here for another 297 days left. Gotta make 'em count right. I've been here for a week and I've already started the countdown to home. This is way harder than I thought.

4 comments:

  1. So when I was studying abroad, I realized that American pizza is awesome. In NZ, their idea of good pizza has bbq sauce on it. There was no such thing as pepperoni pizza. I craved cheese steaks, which did not exist. There was also no root beer, and no one knew what a root beer float was. I found root beer at an Asian market and made floats for my friends, but they were actually grossed out! I never felt more American.

    ReplyDelete
  2. American Food is amazing in General. I realize why people aren't fat here, it's because the food is gross. I like being fat and happy better. I hate a cupcake today that my friend at school brought and it was like a muffin with yogurt type icing. It was amazing but not a cupcake. My mom is sending me some american food. i"m so happy

    ReplyDelete
  3. try Pflaumenkuchen. It might win you over to German pastries.

    ReplyDelete